Head of Political Science Department of the University of Ghana has hailed the nomination of Mr Martin Amidu to the office of Special Prosecutor,describing it as the"most objective political appointment' in the history of the 4th Republic.
Professor Ransford Gyampo,who had earlier criticised the appointment of the Special Prosecutor, has now thrown his weight behind the former Attorney General, whose appointment is subject to Parliamentary approval.
He had suggested the appointment of an Independent Public Prosecutor instead,but had still connsidered Mr Martina Amidu or Ace Investigtive Journalist Anas Arimiyaw Anas for the position.
“This is the most objective political appointment that has ever been made in the history of our Fourth Republic, prof Gyampo said in a praise-filled article.
"If you cant find them in your party, go beyond your party to find them all in the name of serving Ghana". Not all positions can or must be filled from within."
The President on Thursady Announced the appointment of Mr Martin Amidu, for who has openly decalred his intention to fight corruption, a move that has earned him the accolade "citizen vigilante".
Professor Gyampo also commended President Nana Akufo Addo for the looking beyond members of within his party
"President Akufo Addo has demonstrated his desire to protect the NATIONAL INTEREST. I am sure he was opposed about his choice by the hawks and the overly partisan apparatchiks. I congratulate him for this bold step", he added.
Read Prof Gyampo's full comments on the appointment below.
1. The Special Prosecutor suffers from a fundamental challenge regarding autonomy and independence.
2. In my earlier critique of the move to create a Special Prosecutor rather than an Independent Public Prosecutor, I proposed the appointment of a person in the character and stature of Martin Amidu (or Anas) as someone who could do well to surmount the fundamental problem and make some strides in the fight against corruption in spite of the challenges of independence.
3. Martin Amidu has the stature, character, competence, objectivity and all it takes to wield the needed DOUBLE-EDGED SWORD in fighting corruption within the ruling party and outside the party.
4. He has the NAME, MORAL AUTHORITY AND CREDIBILITY as CITIZEN VIGILANTE and I believe he would work to protect not only our money, but also his own name.
5. This is the MOST OBJECTIVE POLITICAL APPOINTMENT that has ever been made in the history of our Fourth Republic. "If you cant find them in your party, go beyond your party to find them all in the name of serving Ghana". Not all positions can or must be filled from within.
6. President Akufo Addo has demonstrated his desire to protect the NATIONAL INTEREST. I am sure he was opposed about his choice by the hawks and the overly partisan apparatchiks. I congratulate him for this bold step.
7. There would be serious autonomy challenges but CITIZEN VIGILANTE, do your best for mother Ghana under the circumstance.
8. I am a very proud Ghanaian today and I thank the President for following one of the key pathways to dealing with Winner-Takes-All politics.
9. Mr. President, more of these appointments. Appointments that even your political opponents can't really oppose.
10. Mr. Amidu, I wish you well. Remember how you took people in your own party on. Take appointees of this administration on when necessary to give you the audacity to prosecute those who aren't in government when you have the evidence.
God bless our homeland Ghana.
P.AV. Ansah Street