The Students Loan Trust Fund (SLTF) wishes to acknowledge that there has been a delay in the disbursement of loans for the 2018/2019 academic year. We apologize to beneficiaries of the loan for the inconvenience caused by the delay.
We would like to place the following on record:
1. We recognize that tens of thousands of students rely on the loans for various uses, including the payment of fees, accommodation, and the purchase of books as well as general living expenses. We are working assiduously to restore the situation to normalcy.
2. At the beginning of the 2017/2018 academic year, the loan amount was increased by 50% which resulted in a surge in applications, putting a strain on the Fund.
3. We have engaged with the relevant stakeholders including the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Finance and the GETFUND to make financing available to pay students by the end of November.
4. We have been communicating with student leadership and take this opportunity to appeal to the wider student body to bear with us while we resolve the issue.
5. The SLTF takes its mandate of providing timely financial assistance to students who need it seriously and would like to assure the general public that this situation is a temporary one which is being addressed with the long term view in mind.