This should be interesting.
Crews for “Empire” were spotted filming Tuesday in the same area where show star Jussie Smollett claimed to have been attacked in a homophobic and racist hate crime, which police now say was made up.
The production team was accompanied by local authorities for the morning shoot — near McClurg and North Water Street, just one block away from the overpass where Smollett’s “attack” happened, according to NBC Chicago.
They obtained a city permit to film in the area from 9:30 a.m to 3:30 p.m., the station reports.
An "Empire" film crew rented the location of Smollett's fake attack for six hours on Tuesday.
It was not immediately clear what the “Empire” crew was doing in the area, only that they were shooting scenes. Producers have not said whether they plan to incorporate the Smollett situation into the show.
The actor’s character, Jamal Lyon, is slated to be away on his honeymoon when the Fox drama returns on Sept. 24.
“You’ll see pictures of him in the background,” Fox Entertainment CEO Charlie Collie told reporters last week, promising “surprises at the beginning of the season” that viewers are “going to love.”
Smollett, 37, was arrested and charged for faking his alleged Jan. 29 attack and filing a false police report, but prosecutors eventually chose to drop the case against him. A special prosecutor has since been assigned to look into additional charges.
The city of Chicago is suing Smollett for the cost of the investigation.