There is a massive withdrawal from some top Members of Parliament representing the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC).
As new faces including former deputy information minister, Felix Kwakye Ofosu and actor, John Dumelo emerge, some notable names including Ghana's longest serving parliamentarian, Mr Alban Bagbin are on their way out.
Below is a break down of parliamentarians who will not be contesting in the 2020 general elections for the NDC:
ALBAN K.S. BAGBIN
Mr Alban Kingsford Sumani Bagbin who is currently Ghana’s Second Deputy Speaker of Parliament is one of the big names in the NDC existing parliament.
The 62-year-old had not picked nomination forms to contest the Nadowli-Kaleo parliamentary seat at the close of nomination on Friday July 12, 2019.
Known in the local parlance as “Nadowli Mugabe,” Bagbin’s exit will pave way for a new candidate for the first time in 28 years.
The legislator is yet to give reasons for his exit but it will be recalled that a youth group in his constituency mounted pressure on him earlier this year to give way for a new person to take over.
This has signaled his much-speculated retirement from the chamber after his current term expires.
Bagbin has been occupying the Nadowli-Kaleo parliamentary seat since 1992.
Alhaji Inusah Fuseini, who is one of the vocal members of the NDC in Parliament will also not be contesting in the upcoming elections.
He became a Member of Parliament through a by-election in 2006 after the then incumbent, Wayo Seini defected from the NDC to the New Patriotic Party (NPP).
This triggered a by-election in the Tamale Central constituency on April 4, 2006 which Inusah Fuseini won.
He successfully held his seat in 2008 with 66% of the votes cast and retained the seat in 2012 with 61% and in 2016 with 60% of votes cast.
Alhaji Fueini who served as Lands and Natural Resources as well as the Roads and Highways minister under the Mahama administration would have held the seat for 14 years by the time he exits parliament.
Although his decision not to contest in the upcoming polls may surprise many, the trained lawyer had hinted months earlier of his decision to bow out of the parliament.
The former Roads and Highways Minister said he wanted to give a new person the chance to serve the people of Tamale Central.
He also said he wanted to commit fully to the 2020 presidential campaign of John Mahama.
Former Deputy Finance Minister and Ketu South MP, Fifi Fiavi Kwetey is another shocking name who failed to pick nomination forms to contest the party’s parliamentary primaries.
Fifi Kwetey joined Parliament in 2012 with a promise to run twice for Parliament on the NDC ticket.
It is however not clear if the promise of a two-term-run is the only reason for Mr Kwetey’s failure to pick nomination forms to contest the forthcoming primaries.
Some eight members of the National Democratic Congress have picked up nomination forms to contest.
The eight includes former Deputy Minister for Tourism, Culture and Creative Arts, Dzifa Abla Gomashie-Ahiaglo.
Other incumbent MPs who have also failed to pick up nomination forms include Richard Quashiegah, MP for Keta; Mr Clement Kofi Humado, MP for Anlo and Dr Mrs Bernice Adiku Heloo, MP for Hohoe.
Meanwhile, filing of nominations and vetting would be conducted on the 18th – 19th of July 2019 and 24th – 25th July 2019, respectively.
The NDC has slated August 24, 2019, for its parliamentary primaries.