I Was Completely Devastated: Laryea Kingston Opens Up on 2010 World Cup Omission

Portrait of a middle-aged man with gray beard and glasses, wearing a navy blazer and pink shirt in a studio setting.
By Jamaldeen Wiayuka May 18, 2026

Former Ghana international Laryea Kingston has spoken candidly about the heartbreak of being left out of Ghana’s squad for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, describing the decision as one of the most painful moments of his career.

The former Black Stars midfielder said the news came as a “massive shock” not only to him, but also to several of his teammates, many of whom still discuss the incident years later.

Speaking to 3SPORTS, Kingston recalled the moment he was informed he would not be part of the squad for the tournament in South Africa, a World Cup in which Ghana reached the quarter-finals for the first time in history.

“For me, the entire situation in 2010 came as a massive shock. It shocked not only me but most of my teammates as well,” Kingston said.

“Even today, some of my former teammates still tease me about it, but honestly, I have always felt it was completely unfair.”

The ex-Ghana international revealed that he was summoned into a meeting involving members of the national team’s technical setup and football administrators before being informed of the decision.

“When I walked into the conference room, the entire technical team was there. Kwesi Nyantakyi was present, Dr Randy Abbey was there, and the coach alongside his backroom staff were all seated,” he recounted.

“That was when they broke the news to me. I was completely devastated.”

Kingston was widely regarded as one of Ghana’s most talented midfielders during his playing days and had been an influential figure for the Black Stars leading up to the tournament.

His omission from the squad remains one of the most debated selection decisions in Ghana football history.

author avatar
Jamaldeen Wiayuka

Comments (0)

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *