NACOC intensifies anti-drug crackdown with raids across Accra and Oti Region

The Narcotics Control Commission has carried out a fresh wave of anti-drug operations in parts of Greater Accra and the Oti Region, leading to multiple arrests and the seizure of suspected illegal substances.
In a statement released on May 18, 2026, the Commission said the operations were based on intelligence gathered over time and formed part of its nationwide efforts to combat drug trafficking and substance abuse.
The coordinated raids targeted suspected drug hubs in Kissieman, Dome, and Kwabenya within Greater Accra, while another team simultaneously conducted an operation at Alavanyo in the Oti Region.
According to NACOC, officers recovered various suspected narcotic substances and materials believed to be linked to illegal drug activities during the swoops.
Although the Commission confirmed that several people were arrested, it did not disclose the exact number of suspects or provide details about the types and quantities of drugs confiscated.
All suspects are currently in custody as investigations continue and preparations are made for possible prosecution.
The latest operations add to a series of anti-narcotics exercises undertaken by NACOC across the country this year.
Earlier in 2026, the Commission conducted a four-day enforcement operation in Greater Accra and parts of the Eastern Region, where officers arrested suspected drug peddlers and seized substances including cannabis, hashish, hashish oil, and cannabis-infused consumables such as drinks and sweets.
At the time, the Commission warned about the increasing trend of narcotics being packaged in forms capable of attracting young people and unsuspecting users.
In another operation ahead of the Aboakyir Festival in Winneba earlier this month, NACOC raided known drug hotspots in the Effutu Municipality, leading to additional arrests and seizures.
The Commission also recently intercepted a major consignment of opioids on April 30, when officers seized nearly five million tablets of Tapentadol 250mg from a 40-foot trailer believed to be heading toward Niger.
Four suspects were arrested in connection with that case, which investigators suspect is tied to a larger regional trafficking syndicate.
NACOC says it remains committed to strengthening surveillance and enforcement operations nationwide as authorities continue efforts to disrupt organised drug networks operating within and beyond Ghana’s borders.
Comments (0)